Shipment term

Samsung surprisingly outperforms TSMC in shipping 4nm + 5nm chips

In recent years, mobile phone chips have become the main representatives of advanced manufacturing processes. Currently, Qualcomm Snapdragon and MediaTek Dimensity are the biggest winners in the smartphone chip market. These companies are currently in the 4nm process. According to reports released so far, Qualcomm and Mediatek are set to usher in the first 3nm mobile phone processor this year. However, there is intense competition in terms of shipping 4nm + 5nm chips.

Because UMC, GF, etc. have withdrawn from sub-7nm nodes, the competition for cutting-edge technology has become a battle between TSMC and Samsung. Although TSMC is clearly ahead of Samsung in total wafer foundry, Samsung actually surpassed it in the dimension of 4nm + 5nm chip shipment.

Samsung beats TSMC in shipping 4nm + 5nm chips – the situation will reverse soon

Counterpoint Research recently revealed statistics for the first quarter of the year. The report reveals that among 5nm and better processors, Samsung accounts for 60% of foundry shipments. Surprisingly, TSMC is only 40%. To be honest, such a result is absolutely thanks to a few processors from Qualcomm. The likes of Snapdragon 888, Snapdragon 888 Plus, and the latest Snapdragon 8 Gen1 are on the list. However, when the clock goes back to the first quarter of last year, Samsung’s 5nm share is only 8.6%. The remaining 91.4% was taken by TSMC.

However, as the Snapdragon 8+ Gen1 goes to TSMC 4nm and has a good reputation, the situation will be reversed. In fact, Samsung’s share is expected to be a far cry from TSMC’s. In addition, Samsung put the world’s first 3nm GAA transistor chips into production at the end of June. Although ahead of TSMC, there are reports that the client is a mining machine manufacturer. Of course, there are also endless doubts about the “gadget”.

So far, Samsung’s manufacturing process hasn’t been very impressive. This causes the company to lose the initial massive orders it received from Qualcomm.